The whole idea of writing an ebook is pretty daunting. All those blank pages, sitting waiting to be filled.
You’re thinking like an author. What if you forgot the writing? E-book publishing, now there’s a different thought.
You’ll need to think about how to lay your e-book out, where to get pictures, what format to use. Most of the key decisions are easy. You’ll find the details in a blog post by Blog Tyrant who sets out, pretty clearly, how it’s all done.
All except for the content which, I have to say, is actually the difficult bit. So lets tackle some of the basics.
EBook Publishing – your questions answered!
How long does an ebook have to be.
There is a grey area between a report and an ebook. I’d say if you have pictures AND you’re more than ten pages long, you’re probably an ebook. Less and you’re a report. 10-15 pages with no pictures – could be either.
If it’s free, how good does an ebook have to be?
Just because it’s free doesn’t mean it shouldn’t be good. You are trying to create an army of rabid fans. You won’t do that by providing poor information. The price, in many ways, doesn’t matter.
How Do I Write a Killer Title
With enormous care. Whatever you promise in your title, you need to deliver in your text. A ‘killer’ title sounds like something Stephen King would write about, the book title that kills you if you read it out loud. I imagine it means a title that ‘kills’ the opposition.
The best thing to do is find an angle on your subject which the opposition (if it exists, and you should probably worry if it doesn’t) hasn’t explored. Your title should make it clear why your book is useful. How to Make An Ebook is boring as titles go. How to Make an Ebook That People Will Read at least gives you a reason to read, though How to Make an Ebook to Promote Your Business is even better.
Why Should I Bother?
Yes, writing an ebook is a lot of work. If you have a business, you already have plenty to do, so why should you bother with an ebook? What will it get you?
It’s very common to create a short ebook or a report and give it away in exchange for an email address. Readers have to sign up on your list to get the book, once you have their email, you can market to them.
But that’s not the only thing you can do with an ebook.
- You can sell it. Clickbank is a good way to go.
- You can sell the rights to it so other people can sell it as theirs.
- You can have affiliates sell it for a large (even 100%) commission so your name and website spreads across the web.
- You can turn it into an audio file and add it to itunes.
- You can turn it into a powerpoint slideshow and make it a video lecture.
- You can turn it into a script and have yourself videod talking the contents into the camera.
- You can turn it into a course. Courses sell for a lot more than ebooks.
- Sell it on amazon in kindle format.
- Give it away as a bonus. If you have a store, this could be the thing that separates you from the competition. If not, you could give the ebook away as a bonus for attending a webinar or webinar series.
Best of all, remember you want to be in the ebook publishing business. You do not have to write the book yourself. You can hire someone to do it and outsource it completely.
Or not. Writing a book is a great experience and helps you really clarify your knowledge of a subject, but remember publishers make more money on a book than authors, at least in the short term, think publisher, not author to get the most from an ebook.
Any more suggestions? Please add them as comments.There are many many good reasons to write an ebook, but still most people don’t. What holds you back? I’d really like to know.